Friday, December 11, 2020

"Remember" (A Poem)

Unlike her brother Dante Gabriel, who buried and later disinterred the body of his deceased wife Elizabeth Siddal, Christina Rossetti’s dealings with death were no different than the average Victorian.[1] Due to this factor, Lorraine Janzen Kooistra explains, the writer remained relatively silent on the subject of death, only composing a limited number of works which dealt with the subject.[2] Her poem “Remember,” in turn, is just one of these few and takes a straightforward approach over the traditional sentimentalism, asserting that it is better to be forgotten than to be remembered only through the sadness of mourning.

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you planned:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.[3]

Works Referenced

Kooistra, Lorraine Janzen. “Science and Art: Vestiges of Corpses in Pre-Raphaelite Illustrations.” Reading Victorian Illustrations, 1855-1875: Spoils of the Lumber Room. Edited by Paul Goldman and Simon Cooke. London: Routledge, 2016. 97-114.

Rossetti, Christina. “Remember.” Goblin Market and Other Poems. London: MacMillan and Company, 1862. 58.
____________________
[1] Kooistra, 97.
[2] Kooistra, 97.
[3] Rossetti, 58.

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your posts!

    Do you think forgetting is worse than remembering?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thrilled you enjoy my blog! I would have to disagree with Christina Rossetti. I feel being forgotten is far worse than being remembered only through sorrow. In fact, there are several cultures, including some in Africa, which fear this neglect and consider the moment when no one remembers the deceased (a process known as Zamani) as the true act of death. How about you, Michael, do you think it is better to be remembered or forgotten?

      Delete