Friday, July 14, 2023

"Betrayed" (A Poem)

In “The Death Potion,” Lizette Woodworth Reese explores the role of the jilted lover, telling a tale where the narrator creates a potion to take the life of the woman who stole her beloved. In “Betrayed,” the author continues the theme, calling upon Death to console her broken heart. 
 
She is false, O Death, she is fair!
Let me hide my head on thy knee;
Blind mine eyes, dull mine ears, O Death!
She hath broken my heart for me!
 
Give me a perfect dream;
Find me a rare, dim place;
But let not her voice come nigh,
And keep out her face – her face![1] 
 
Works Referenced 
 
Reese, Lizette Woodworth. “Betrayed.” A Handful of Lavender. Boston, MA: Houghton, Mufflin, and Company, 1891. 11
____________________
[1] Reese, 11.

No comments:

Post a Comment