Friday, February 11, 2022

"When I Set Out for Lyonnesse" (A Poem)

The legend of Lyonnesse, a fabled land off the Cornish coast which sank below the sea in ancient times, has been the inspiration for multiple works of art, from Thomas Hardy’s poem “When I Set Out for Lyonnesse” (1870) to Don Marquis’ play Out of the Sea (1927).[1] While countless artists, Marquis among them, utilize the myth as a haunting fantasy (in Out of the Sea, for instance, residents of a coastal community hear the ghostly sounds of Lyonnesse’s drowned victims), Hardy uses the mythical tale as a metaphor for love, with the narrator venturing off to Lyonnesse (loves unknown reaches) and returning with magic.[2]

When I set out for Lyonnesse,
A hundred miles away,
The rime was on the spray,
And starlight lit my lonesomeness
When I set out for Lyonnesse
A hundred miles away.
 
What would bechance at Lyonnesse
While I should sojourn there
No prophet durst declare,
Nor did the wisest wizard guess
What would bechance at Lyonnesse
While I should sojourn there.
 
When I returned from Lyonnesse
With magic in my eyes,
All marked with mute surmise
My radiance rare and fathomless,
When I returned from Lyonnesse
With magic in my eyes.[3]
 
Works Referenced
 
Hardy, Thomas. “When I Set Out for Lyonnesse.” The Poetical Works of Thomas Hardy. Vol. 1. London: Macmillan and Company, 1920. 293-294.
 
Lupack, Alan. “Acting Out an Old Story: Twentieth-Century Tristan Plays.” Popular Arthurian Traditions. Ed. Sally K. Slocum. Bowling Green, OH: Bowling Green State University Popular Press, 1992. 162-172.
 
Patil, Mallikarjun. Thomas Hardy, The Poet: A Critical Study. New Delhi: Atlantic Publishers and Distributors, 1997. 
____________________
[1] Lupack, 170.
[2] Patil, 38.
[3] Hardy, 293-294.

No comments:

Post a Comment